Thursday, September 6, 2012

Antique Inspiring Modern


Where do you find inspiration for your quilting and sewing?

 I think you can find it anywhere, a shape, a beautiful landscape, a person's favorite thing, or maybe
color.

I have a very small collection of antique quilts and this is one of my most favorites!

Antique quilt from my collection


 I call it the Orange Sherbert quilt because of the wonderful orange fabric! I just love it! I found this several years ago languishing in a corner in an antique shop in Indy (Indianapolis Indiana). You see it is not in the best condition, there are some holes, the binding is worn, and it is fragile just because of age. But I couldn't resist and finally purchased it for $50.00, and have never looked back. It lays folded on the top of one of my book cases and the orange still makes me smile every time I see it :)

 Here are a couple of my favorite blocks:

This has a bit of a Japanese feel to the fabric although very doubtful
When I remarked about the unusual orange fabric in this quilt, the lady I purchased this from told me that each state had a color and that quilters would make quilts with that color so that when seen people would know where that quilt came from....Orange was for Ohio. Well, I was born in Ohio so that just made me love it more! Now whether that story is true, I don't know. I never did any research on it, and frankly it would not make a big difference to me....but I do like the story :)

Look at this blocks background fabric! Very Modern looking!


 
Sorry for the poor lighting, trying to show you all the handstitching!

As you can see from this pic, the backing and binding are made out of muslin. And the quilt is totally hand quilted. She thought this quilt was from the early 1900's. Again I didn't research or verify that I just loved it and wanted to keep it from being cut up to make Teddy Bears by someone. No offense to anyone that does that, I just didn't want that to happen to this one. 
 
So what does this have to do with Inspiration?
 
Awhile back I was lucky enough to have won a pack of fat quarters over at Plum and June's that wa generously donated by Julie at The Intrepid Thread.
It is a great pack of the whimsical Flying Free with many great colors and notably Orange!
 
So when I seen that fabric and pared it with some orange mango
by RJR Supreme (a swap fabric I had purchased)
I was reminded of my antique Orange Sherbert quilt
and it inspired me to make a more Modern quilt!
 
Here are the fabrics I pulled and the pattern I plan to use:
 
 
So a new W.I.P.
And no I didn't go thru my WIP list...still working on the organization thing.
Or maybe it is denial? LOL
There are worse things in this world. 
Next time ;)
 
Wishing you a productive, quilty kind of week!
Psst...don't forget to stop back by on Friday...it's a Giveaway Day!!
 
Ginny
 
PS. Blogger is acting up again tonight... so if something is off or looks weird--hey I am just happy to get it posted!
 

I will be linking up to:
 
Beth over at Plum and June and Lee over at Freshly Pieced
 
Plum and JuneGrab a button:

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE your fabrics and pattern you chose, and I'm in love with that antique quilt, too. I love looking at all of the scrappy fabrics and hand stitching in old quilts. So fascinating! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peach is my favorite color so I love that antique quilt. I also found it very fascinating about quilt colors being associated with states. I will definitely research that more. Thanks for that tidbit of info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great story about the quilt, looks like you will have another lovely one on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read about your thought process for your new quilt. Look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That vintage quilt is beautiful! I'm excited to see what you make with your winnings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your story of your Orange Sherbet antique quilt and love the quilt. Orange is not a color I gravitate to, but in this quilt it looks great. The churn dash block is one of my favorites. Being passionate about anything quilt related and especially quilt history, I will be researching the state color story and will let you know if I find anything to support it. Happy quilting on the replicated quilt and I'm very excited to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!