Thursday, November 22, 2012

Friday Finishes!

Did you catch that in the title of the post.....finishes.....that's right not one to tell you about but two!


I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday if you are in the US. If you are not--I hope it was a good Thursday for you too!  This was the scene this morning from my window--

Ok Ginny, you say, but what exactly is that and what does it have to do with quilt finishes?
Well, it's not just a picture of the heavy fog but--- how appropriate is this....wait for it.... it is a flock of honkers Canadian Geese! One of my finishes is a Flying Geese pattern---Canadian Geese...Flying Geese... ok, on to the quilty stuff  (and yes! they do "honk, honk" loudly!) ;0

My Flying Geese mini quilt is complete and on its way to my Modern She Made 2 swap partner now, so I thought I would give you a close up, and the down and dirty details.  This was for the second round of the Modern She Made swap on Flickr. If you have never participated in one of these swaps, you are assigned a partner who posts a photo mosaic for your inspiration and completes a brief questionnaire on their style and what they may like. Then the stalking begins!

That's right you check out everything you can think of to see what their likes and dislikes are and then make something you think fits them. You can post teases, and questions to try and get more info. Some people comment on everything and some do not comment at all! All part of the fun, but I must admit, it is a bit stressful wondering if they will like what you have made for them. 

So here we go: 
Flying Geese Mini
Close up of quilting and binding
Close up of blocks and quilting
Back of mini with binding

Close up of quilting on back side
So there you have it, my Flying Geese Mini. 
Stats:
Size: 19 in x 19 in
Fabric: variety, including Kona Charcoal for the solid and Michael Miller Divine Damask on back
Quilted with walking foot and pearl grey thread

Next: the little extra that will be going with this mini quilt! 

Medium cosmetic bag in Washi Tape!

 This is my first little cosmetic bag! I love it! Not to hard. Took about two hours but I am sure that the next one would go much faster as I did have a few hic-coughs that had me sharing a bit of time with my seam ripper. 

The inside has a finished lining. So many of the bag/pouch tutorials that I looked at had and unfinished inside which I really didn't want. I used this tutorial from Flossie Teacakes, and really the only thing that didn't turn out was my zipper ends. Yes, I  covered them but they do not lay smoothly. But that may be because I used a zipper that was too long and I had to cut off-- maybe my measurements were not correct and it was a smidge (technical term) long.

Inside finished lining
Finished bag


I hope she likes it.....I do. I used a turquoise zipper and turquoise thread to topstitch it.

Stats:
Wahsi Tape Cosmetic Pouch
Size: 7 in x 5 in
Washi Tape on the outside and Lou Louthi as the lining  (interfacing for structure also)

I will be linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Friday Finishes and TGIFF!







Happy Stitching!
Ginny

PS. I have had trouble with Google and Blogger tonight so this may have posted and I have now edited it to complete the post, it disappeared twice on me--- must be too much turkey! ;)

8 comments:

  1. Your mini is great. I love the mix of fabrics ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous mini and pouch! I bet your partner will be thrilled! How appropriate to have geese on your lawn in time to share your flying geese mini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your flying geese mini; looks like we were inspired with the same color scheme this week! And the damask on the back is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really hard to second guess someone's likes and dislikes isn't it Ginny? I am sure though your partner will love the flying geese mini and the pouch is the ideal extra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I am your partner! I would love your flying geese mini and the Washi pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool flying geese mini. :) Love the pouch with it. Awesome photo of real geese in the fog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colour choices and quilting in your flying geese mini :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Flying Geese mini looks fabulous! Great mix of prints and your quilting looks perfect! Love the pouch too and I'm sure your partner will cherish them. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!