Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Rainbow for a Grey and Rainy Day!

Hi everyone, how are things going for you? It is cold and grey and rainy here, with the "S" word in the forecast. I guess a little "snow" in December is to be expected! 



I wanted to share my latest swap project with you and it just seemed appropriate given the cold and grey day! Isn't it sweet! I am just lovin' it and I hope my partner does too! This was part of the Modern Scrappy Bits swap over on Flickr. The idea was to swap scraps and add a bit to your collection. You were to send something small along with the scraps. 


Here is a pic of the scraps I sent along, its a bit dark but I think it was like 5am in the morning when I took it and my dining room light is not the brightest! Funny how scraps evoke such good memories---well mostly good lol! of the projects you work on :)  Alot like listening to music and how a certain song can take you right to a certain moment in time. 

So I decided to use some of these scraps to make a little mug rug and came across this fun tutorial over at Sewfantastic. The instructions and pics are very clear and you end up with a little bit of happiness! The biggest caution is not to pull on your fabric strips or "iron" with steam too much vs. just pressing the seams. Doing either of these will stretch your fabric strips and you will end up with wonky looking seams/lines or they will not line up perfectly....uhm not that that would ever happen to me! Yes, it did a bit with this little rug but it's still sweet!



This is the back of it and I used a scrap piece from one of the Victoria and Albert lines. So much like the city and the start of many peoples day.

I just straight stitched this every 1/4in with my walking foot. 




Then I used some left over binding fabric from this quilt here. I like to cut my binding 2 1/4 in and  in this case I machine stitched it on since I was a bit short on time. 






And there you have it, a little bit of sunshine on a grey and rainy day in Indiana. Sit down and have a cuppa and oh yea maybe a couple of double stuffed Oreo's to go with it. 
This ended up being 9 1/2 in  by 11 1/2 in and I used Kona white for the background. 

Have a great week and Happy Stitching!

Ginny



4 comments:

  1. This is fabulous....love everything about it....including the Oreos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweety Ginny, I would be very happy to see that in my swap package!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty, love the bright and cheery colours, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! This post could not be written any
    better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate!

    He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!
    My site - Http://Www.Cozylilyswimwear.Com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!